Becoming A CarbonNeutral® Company
As a company, Altecnic has a strong corporate environmental awareness, and we decided to investigate ways in which we could neutralise our own carbon footprint. To achieve this, we called in the expertise of carbon reduction solutions provider The CarbonNeutral® Company. Working in partnership with independent third party assessors, The CarbonNeutral® Company quantifies the greenhouse gas emissions in accordance with internationally recognised protocols, including the WRI/WBCSD GHG Protocol, and identifies carbon emission reduction opportunities.
The process of achieving CarbonNeutral® company certification was achieved through:
- Evaluating and measuring our organisation's original footprint.
- Setting emission reduction targets.*
- Following our initial assessment in 2006 it was clear that there were certain areas we could target to reduce our footprint. Projects ranged from investing in new energy efficient warehouse lighting, through to implementing new waste separation procedures and even included simple ideas such as using drinking glasses instead of plastic vending cups. The results of these projects are clear – an 8.4% reduction in electricity consumption and an 18% reduction in waste to landfill.
- Offsetting the remainder of our carbon footprint by counter balancing our carbon emissions in carbon saving projects somewhere else in the world.
We were first in our industry to become CarbonNeutral®. Now, we are in our fifth year working with The CarbonNeutral® Company and the diverse range of carbon offset projects we have invested in shows that there are many different technologies which can help reduce our carbon emissions.
You can download a copy of our current CarbonNeutral certificate here.
See below for information about some of the projects that have helped us become CarbonNeutral®:
- UK Forestry - More info...
- Jamaican Lighting Project - More info...
- US Methane Recovery - More info...
- New Zealand Wind Farm - More info...
- Sichuan Province Hydro Power Project - More info...
- Peruvian Hydro Power Project - More info...
The CarbonNeutral® Company
The global standard for carbon neutral certification, CarbonNeutral® is a clear statement about a business’ action to reduce carbon emissions to zero.
It is fully compliant with other third party standards and guidelines produced by the UK government, the British Standards Institution and the Federal Trade Commission in the US.
Clients in 32 countries use it to engage employees, customers and other stakeholders.
CarbonNeutral® certification is underpinned by The CarbonNeutral® Protocol which reflects best practice and guarantees the integrity and quality of our carbon neutral programme.